Preheader Home Page
Insurance Insurance Insurance

If you drive a car, it is essential to carry auto insurance, especially in California. One question that has come up with some of our clients is “can I insure a car that I don’t own?” or “can I insure a car that’s not titled in my name?”. Generally when you insure something, you have some sort of financial interest in the property so if that property were to get damaged, you would suffer a financial loss. If your vehicle is not registered in your name, it can be difficult to argue that you’d have a financial loss since the car is technically not your property in the eyes of the state of California. However, we do understand that different situations come up where you may not be able to have the title of the car in the same name as the person insuring it.

Depending on the auto insurance company you’re insured with, you may just be able to add the vehicle to your existing policy. If you don’t already have an auto insurance policy, you should consult an agent to advise you on your options. We always recommend titling vehicles in the names of the drivers to avoid any issues down the line. However, if you are going to be driving cars that you don’t own frequently, a non-owner car insurance policy may better suit your needs.

A non-owner policy covers your liability in case you cause an accident. The coverage would pay for injuries to the people in the other vehicle(s) as well as property damage you may have caused to the other vehicle(s). A non-owner auto insurance policy is recommended for situations like renting a car or borrowing a car from someone else for a short period of time. However, the car cannot be owned by someone in your household and it cannot be in your regular care, custody or control. Non-owner policies are most commonly used as a temporary option when you have a major accident or violation such as a DUI so you can get your SR22 filing to get your driver’s license back.

You may want a more comprehensive policy depending on the type of vehicle you’re insuring. If you want comprehensive and collision coverage, you will need to purchase an auto insurance policy that has those additional options. Above and Beyond Insurance Agency works with insurance companies that will allow you to insure your vehicle with these important coverages even if the car is not titled in your name. Since this is a less common situation, we recommend contacting our office so we can assess your needs and show you your available options.

Each person’s situation is unique and your auto insurance should be customized so that you’re financially protected when you most need it. When you need to purchase insurance on a vehicle that’s not yours, consult an auto insurance agent that can give you multiple options and explain the benefits of each. Our office is open Monday through Friday, from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Please stop by or give us a call at 415-453-6329 for an auto insurance quote today.

auto insurance quote

Posted 3:59 PM

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive

View Mobile Version
We service our clients
with companies that we trust

Our Happy Customers

Social Social Social
250 Bel Marin Keys Blvd. Suite E, Novato, CA 94949 | Phone: 415.883.2525 | Fax: 415.883.7752
A Mitchell and Mitchell Company, License #0620650
Powered by Insurance Website Builder